Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Go Cavaliers!


I can’t even believe it! I’ve been accepted into the Hampton Reading Cohort and I’ll be receiving my Masters in Reading Education for FREE through UVA! Holy crap! I applied back in January, but for some reason I wasn’t accepted during the first round. (Honestly, I think the fact that I temporarily moved back to PA and then returned to Hampton didn’t look so great on my resume…) Regardless, I was contacted a couple weeks ago and told that some people didn’t make the cut so I’m in! I had to quickly check my schedule and luckily I could take the summer course, Children’s Literature. This 3 week class is currently kicking my tail. We meet 7 times over 3 weeks and the work load is intense! Basically, our professor has taken the usual course load for a semester and shoved it into 3 weeks. It’s rough, but I’m learning so much! I’m excited to apply the strategies in my classroom this fall. My next step after this class is to take the GRE so I can be “officially” accepted into the Curry School of Education at UVA. I’ll be honest. I’m a little nervous. I’ve never had a problem with standardized tests, but knowing that so much is riding on this makes me anxious. I bought a study manual though, and I will definitely be prepared!

The best part about this program is the fact that I get to take classes with two of my best friends, Erika and Melissa! I think we call each other or talk on Facebook at least 12 times a day to make sure we’re doing our assignments correctly. Thank goodness I have them to rely on!

My tutoring is also going really well. I’m working with a 7 year old boy who is going into second grade. We meet twice a week and he is so cute and well-behaved. It’s the easiest job I’ve ever had!

The next couple weeks are going to be crazy busy. On top of class, tutoring, and homework, I also have two days of computer training for work. Geez! But luckily, I get to go home after all of that to see my family! I haven’t been to PA since Christmas and I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment