Sunday, August 29, 2010

What's your question?

Are you single?
When are you going to find someone and settle down?
Oh he's cute!  What does he do?
Are you two going to move in together?
When are you getting engaged?
When are you getting married?
When are you going to start having kids?
How many kids are you going to have?
When are you going to have another baby?

Sometimes I just want to tell people to shut the hell up.  For our entire adult life we answer stupid questions like this because people can't be happy for us in the here and now.  As soon as you answer one question, they're ready and waiting with another one for you.  When Steve and I were dating, everyone kept asking when we were going to get engaged.  We dated for 3 years and for some people I guess that was "too long".  Personally, I loved it because we really got to know each other and we had no doubts that we wanted to spend our lives together.  For some people though, I guess we didn't move along the path fast enough.  Now that we're getting close to our wedding, people are asking the baby questions.  Why is it anyone's business when we plan to have kids?  I don't mind discussing this with my close friends, but with complete strangers?  It's just weird.  A lady at a party last night spilled her guts to me about trying to conceive with her husband.  Um, I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear about your sex life or invitro fertilization process when I'm enjoying my buffalo chicken dip.  I just want to enjoy being married for a hot minute before everyone starts pushing me towards "the next step".  Many of my friends have adorable children, and I'm very happy and excited for them, but I'm just not there yet.  And I will not apologize or make excuses for it.

I will step off my soapbox now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment