Friday, July 29, 2011

Whole30 Challenge

Due to the health issues I've been dealing with, I've been given two options for treatment. Surgery, which I've been told by my doctor, probably won't help beyond providing a definite diagnosis, and hormone therapy, which scares the crap out of me. I contemplated both of these options for a few days, did my research, and decided I couldn't go through with either. I firmly believe there is a more holistic way to heal my body.

I began talking with a friend of mine who is a chiropractor and also studies alternative medicine. He suggested an eating plan called the Paleo Diet, which kicks off with a Whole30 Challenge. He has been following this eating plan for over a year and swears he has never felt better. The plan focuses on the way man used to eat before modern, processed food entered the picture. The first 30 days focuses on just lean meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, nut butters, olive oil, and vinegar. You can also use herbs and spices to flavor your food. You can drink water, black coffee, or herbal teas. Absolutely no dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, or other oils are permitted. After the initial 30 days, some small indulgences can be consumed, including butter, dark chocolate, red wine, and wild rice. The idea is to eat whole foods as much as possible to decrease the amount of inflammation in your body. Also, we consume far more carbs than we need, so this eating plan gets back to the "original carbs" created by nature.

I originally tried to eat a mostly "animal free" diet around this time last year. It helped initially, but what I noticed was that I quickly replaced usual protein sources with artificial sources like protein shakes and bars. I also started eating wayyyyy more carbs than I used to in the form of crackers, breads, and pastas. The result? I've put back on the 6 lbs I lost and added a few more. I feel bloated, and gross, and my pain has returned.

So this new plan is going to be my plan for life. I think it sounds very wholesome, it makes sense for my body and my specific issues, and it doesn't sound like something I can't do with a little preparation. Also, I realize that there will be some times where I just want a cupcake. And I will probably have one. And life will go on.

I started today at Day #1, and besides an annoying withdrawal headache, I felt pretty good. I wasn't hungry like I thought I would be, but I also got to eat A LOT. Here are my meals from today:

Breakfast:
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- Fresh peach
- Cup of herbal tea

Morning Snack:
- Almonds

Lunch:
- Salad with romaine lettuce, shrimp, tomatoes, mushrooms, snap peas, and red wine/olive oil vinaigrette
- Celery sticks w/ almond butter (a little strange compared to peanut butter, but I like it)

Afternoon Snack:
- Banana

Dinner:
- Grilled kabobs with Angus Beef Tips, Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Squash, and Zucchini
- Strawberries


Steve is planning to follow this plan pretty closely as well. I love that I have his support. And I just found out that my friends want to do another Biggest Loser Challenge. I have a feeling this diet is going to really help me out. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment