Thursday, May 27, 2010

Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue

OMG! It needs to be summer now before I flip out and lose my job!!!

*End Screaming*

Now, on to a more pleasant topic. This weekend is the wonderful, 3-day-long Memorial Day celebration. I love any holiday that:

A. Gets me out of work for a day
B. Involves delicious cookout food
C. Features outdoor games and has a patriotic theme

I'm also very excited that my college roommate is coming to visit. We're planning to head to the beach on Saturday, block party it up on Saturday night, and probably go to church and grab lunch on Sunday. She can't stay as long as I would like (some boy is stealing her away on Monday) but I'll take any time I can get.


The only bad thing about holidays like this is that they make me a bit sad. I miss my family back at home. I miss my loved ones who served their country and have passed away. My mind always wanders back to my uncle's funeral 2 years ago. It was one of the toughest memorial services I ever sat through. He served in the Army and a traditional military service was held in his honor. Anytime I hear "Taps" being played I just break down. It's a reminder for not only me, but so many others, that this country we might take for granted is not free by accident. We may have our struggles and problems as a nation, and I'll be the first to admit I don't always agree with our leaders, but we are incredibly blessed compared to many nations around the world.
So here's my tribute to those who have served, and a huge thank you to those that continue to do so. Your efforts do not go unnoticed, even if it does feel that way at times. Our country still needs you, and we appreciate your sacrifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment