Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ode to the squat


This my friend, is a kettlebell. A miniature wonder of the fitness world. I love and loathe it equally. Now mind you, I do not lift, swing, snatch, or press anywhere close to 32kg, but I do look pretty badass with my 10lb version. It's black, so that makes it convincing. Tonight I returned to my kettlebell class at the gym after a short hiatus, and let me tell you, the kettlebell does not forgive you when you ignore it for weeks on end. After 20 minutes of repeated squats in combination with lifting, swinging, and pulling this little beast, I thought I might have a heart attack. I was sweating from places I didn't know I could. At one point, projectile sweat was flying from my forehead. I kept going because everyone in that class is ridiculously hardcore and I didn't want to look like a chump. In my head though, I was secretly wishing this little, stupid, weighted ball could just fall on me and put me out of my misery. Why do I do this to myself? Because it's hands-down the best exercise I can think of. It makes all parts of my body sore, which means it has to be doing something, and it makes me sweat out at least 3 lbs per class. Plus, my fiance always observes that my butt looks tighter after I've been kettlebelling. That right there is my motivation. Summer is coming quick, and I want to flaunt my tight booty in a little bikini without a care in the world. I'm not there yet, but the kettlebell will be my loyal friend who will help me control the junk in my trunk.
More squats anyone?

1 comment:

  1. UUGGGHHH Man I wish we had this class up here :( I just have to make up my own routine and try not to quit when I feel tired. Its so much more motivating watching people in the class lifting 30 pound kettlebells and I have to tell myself to shut up about my whimpy 7 pounds....

    ReplyDelete