Monday, May 24, 2010

Vegan...with a side of fish

I can not believe I'm actually doing this.  I'm going pseudo-Vegan.  For about 6 years now I've been dealing with a condition called endometriosis.  I'll spare the gross details, but basically for about one week out of each month I'm in extreme pain to the point where I can't function. I've tried different pain meds, but those were a waste.  The next step was birth control pills, which helped with the pain but caused other side effects.  Next, my doctor wants me to do hormone therapy, which would send me into early menopause.  Um, hello?  I'm a bit too young for that. The final step would be a hysterectomy, which at this point is out of the questions since I want babies someday.  I was beginning to lose hope, until I started doing some research and found that many women had relief from their symptoms after following a very rigid diet.  I was skeptical at first, but I figure if this can help me avoid surgery, I'll give it a try.  The plan focuses on natural and plant-based foods with no red meat, chicken, eggs, or dairy.  They also recommend cutting out refined sugars, most salt and sodium, alcohol, and caffeine.  At first I thought, "What in the world am I going to eat?!"  Then I started researching vegetarian and vegan options for protein and other nutrients and found that lots of vegetables, beans, nuts, and fish can supplement my usual choices.  Of course, I can also eat lots of fruits and whole grains.  I used my favorite healthy website, Sparkpeople, and tracked my food for the past 2 days to make sure I was getting enough fat, carbs, and protein.  It's been much easier than I thought.  I found a lot of great options at Trader Joe's, and it's amazing how much better I already feel. Last night I slept well and only had minor pain.  I also have so much more energy!  I woke up this morning BEFORE my alarm and actually didn't need coffee!!  Amazing!  I'm also curious to see how this affects my weight and blood pressure (which is one of the nasty side-effects I mentioned earlier).  

Here's to my healthy eating adventure!  Updates to follow...

3 comments:

  1. OMG good luck with this!!! I can't believe you are going Vegan...I support you (as long as I can eat wings in front of you next time I come home!) I'm glad you are already seeing the side effects, I hope it helps with your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I went out to eat with some co-workers tonight and it wasn't bad. I ordered shrimp tacos with black beans and it was delicious. Eating seafood is going to save my life when it comes to eating out. I will miss things, but I just have to remind myself that there is a reason!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yeah that will help out a lot, I wish I ate seafood but something about little swimming fishies freak me out. I don't know why fish freaks me out when I eat chickens and cows...but whatever. Good luck with that!!!

    ReplyDelete